Skip to main content

Attorney General Residential Landlord-Tenant Resources

The Attorney General’s Office does not handle complaints about issues relating to the Residential Landlord-Tenant Act.  Here is a list of resources that may assist you with residential landlord/tenant issues:

Help for Tenants:

  • Self Help Brochure
  •  Lawyer Referral
    •  If you need low cost legal assistance, contact the Washington State Bar Association, or your county bar association and ask about its lawyer referral program.
  • Statewide Legal Services for Tenants
  • Solid Ground Tenant Counseling & Education
    Tenant Services Line
    10:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday and Thursday, 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Wednesday
    (206) 694-6767
  • Complaints and Inquiries about Housing Codes:
    •  Call your local city or county zoning or building departments
  • Low Income Housing:
    • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
      909 First Avenue, Suite 190
      Seattle, WA 98104
      (206) 220-5205
  • Senior Housing Issues:
  • Housing Discrimination:
    • Washington State Human Rights Commission
      1511 Third Ave.
      Suite 921
      Seattle, WA 98101
      (206) 464-6500
      Toll-free: 1-800-233-3247
    • Also, contact your city or county Human Rights or Civil Rights agency.

Resources for Rental Housing Landlords :

The Rental Housing Association of Washington  provides advocacy and education services for roughly 5,000 rental housing owners–ranging from single family homes to multifamily communities. They also provide information for tenants. Based in Seattle, they can be reached toll-free at 1-800-335-2990.

Information about Small Claims Court:

To recover money for an amount up to $5,000.


A number of local agencies offer landlord-tenant information.

King County:
King County Bar Association Housing Justice Project
(206) 267-7090

The Tenants Union
(206) 723-0500

Seattle Office of Housing
(206) 684-2489

Catholic Community Services, Legal Action Center
(206) 324-6890

Pierce County:
Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association
Volunteer Legal Service Program
Tacoma-Pierce County Housing Justice Project

Skagit County:
Skagit Community Action Agency
Volunteer Lawyer Program for eligible low-income residents
(888) 201-1014 (CLEAR) to determine eligibility
(360) 416-7585 for questions

City of Tacoma:
Landlord-Tenant Services
747 Market Street
Room 108
Tacoma, WA 98402
(253) 591-5000

Whatcom County:
Whatcom County Opportunity Council
(360) 734-5121 From Bellingham
(360) 384-1470 County-Wide

LAW Advocates
(888) 201-1014 To determine eligibility
(360) 671-6079 for appointments
Telephone only, no walk-ins

Office of Neighborhood Development Services
(509) 575-6101


There are a number of local organizations that offer dispute resolution services:

City of Bellevue:
Bellevue Neighborhood Mediation Program
(425) 452-4091

Clark County:
Community Mediation Services
360) 334-5862

Island County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish, Island and Skagit Counties

King County:
King County Dispute Resolution Center
(206) 443-9603

Lewis County:
Community Mediation Center of Lewis County
(360) 748-0492

Pierce County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Pierce County
(253) 572-3657

Skagit County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish, Island and Skagit Counties
(360) 542-8487

Snohomish County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Snohomish, Island and Skagit Counties
(425) 339-1335

Northwest Mediation Center
(509) 456-0103

Thurston County:
Dispute Resolution Center of Thurston County
(360) 956-1155



Leave a Reply